Did you know? Babies love black & white images
Author - A Little Bit Dotty
When my eldest son was born, I remember people saying to me “babies love black & white images”.
I must confess that despite reading numerous books, magazines and articles prior to his birth this fact hadn’t really registered with me - well there is a lot to read and take in isn’t there?!
The moment I placed a black & white book in front of him, I could instantly see him focus and become almost entranced by the swirl and dot patterns on every page.
“Anything with very obvious contrast – such as black and white edges and lines – is an optimal stimulant for the visual system. This type of stimulation basically gets the system up and running” – Professor Usha Goswami, director of the Centre for Neuroscience in Education at Cambridge University.
A baby’s eyesight will continue to develop over the first 6 months of their life. The use of black & white books, toys and patterned materials such as muslins will help with this development as well as providing a source of entertainment and stimulation.
Here are just a few of the fascinating facts about black & white images.
- Research has shown that black & white can register stronger on a baby’s retina, which in turn stimulates the brain.
- Strong visual signals to a baby’s brain means increased brain growth and therefore faster visual development.
- Strong black and white patterns also help babies to develop their ability to focus their attention and levels of concentration.
- You can help stimulate the baby’s vision by placing black and white images such as books, flash cards and toys around 10 inches away from their face.
Here are a few handy tips from us to you about the different ways you could use black & white objects day to day.
- Place a book in front or next to your little one in their pram or buggy when you go out for a walk - if possible attach it to something so it doesn't go overboard and get left behind on the pavement!
- Lie your baby on a black & white print muslin or blanket at tummy time.
- Think about incorporating black & white in to your clothing and wear a black & white top or a scarf - you will soon see how entranced they are by the patterns.
- Teething necklaces are a great distraction for babies so why not get one that has black & white beads incorporated into the design.
- Babies love bath time so why not put a black & white bath book in the bath with them.
We have a number of gifts in our collections that are not only gorgeous but they will help to entertain and stimulate your newborn and aid their visual development.
XL Lucky Stars Muslin - can be used as a breastfeeding cover, pram cover, light blanket or burp cloth, because of the on-trend fabric, Mums might also like to use it as an accessory such as a scarf or sarong.
Animal Muslin Swaddle - XL muslin swaddle blanket with beautiful black & white illustrations of animals from around the world
Ocean & African Animal Flash Cards - 12 interactive black & white flash cards that can be used from birth to entertain and stimulate babies development, right up to toddlers and pre-schoolers learning all about animals.
Baby Books - inside the books you will find 12 animals who live in Africa or in the Ocean. Enjoy sharing these monochrome picture books with babies and toddlers to help stimulate their development and inspire an early love of wildlife.